I get this question quite a fair amount of time – Where To Buy The Cheapest DSLR In Singapore?
Will it be at Harvey Norman? Best Denki? Courts? Audio House? Mustafa?
Not exactly … I find that I usually can get better price at almost any moment, for any given product, at smaller photographic specialty shops.
And the following shops are where I usually buy my DSLR and Photographic Equipments:
Cathay Photo Store (Pte) Ltd
111 North Bridge Rd #01-11/14 (Tel : 6337 4274)
6 Raffles blvd, Marina Square #02-219 (Tel: 63396188)
I bought my Nikon Speedlight SB900 and Nikon AF-D 20mm f2.8 prime lens here.
Update: I also bought my Nikon 24-120 f4 VRII here.
Blk 711 Ang Mo Kio Central Ave 8, #01-3501C Singapore 560711 (Tel: 64576380)
I bought my Nikon D90 Kit here.
Update: Also my got my Sony Nex 5 Dual Lens Kit here.
#05-20 Funan Digitalife Mall (Tel: 6883-0922)
#01-38 Sim Lim Square (Tel: 6336-0922)
I bought my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 lens here and a Fujitsu Digital Compact.
#06-31/53 Sim Lim Square (Tel: 63391035)
I bought my Sigma 50-150 f2.8 lens here.
Lords (Closed Down Already Renamed iPhoto, I Think)
304 Orchard Road #01-79 Lucky Plaza (Tel: 62354605)
I bought my first DSLR – a Nikon D40x kit from Lords based on recommendations from my Uncle.
I bought my Nikon D700 Body and a Nikon AF-D 50mm f1.4 prime lens here.
501 Orchard Road, Wheelock Place #02-06
I bought my Crumpler Seven Million Dollar Home (it’s a camera bag) here.
Tips On Getting The Best Price
- Always check the Suggested Retail Price (SRP) against the manufacturer’s website (street price is usually around 15-20% lower than this price … subject to some other factors)
- Wait for a Sale Season – Great Singapore Sale, Year End Sale, IT Show, PC Show, COMEX, SITEX, etc (so you get extra freebies from the manufacturer)
- Call each and every shop to check the price and availability of the photographic equipment you want (lowest price doesn’t equate to stock availability)
- Check that the price quoted is for Cash or Credit Card Term and if the equipment is a local or grey set (note that parallel import set has no local warranty).
- Reserve your set with the cheapest merchant with available stock and go get it! (don’t play them out ok!)
- Pay cash if you can cos it’s usually the best price
- Oh, if you buy more, can bargain more too (a little more)
There are other shops out there … but these are where I buy.
Also, there is not a single shop that will always be the cheapest, you need to check around.
Plus I do not endorse nor am I affiliated with any of these shops nor guarantee that they will give the best price (I just happened to be their customers) … but I do know they are not too far from the rock bottom even if they are not the cheapest at that moment